my funny family

my funny family

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Should's

I've been thinking about all the "should's" in my life. I like to think that I don't have that many of them bothering me, but I've been helping out a friend of a friend with some practice counseling and I'm finding there's lots of them wandering around in my brain! And how many of them are just super big lies!!!
I should have a super clean house like my mom & mother in law. I should buy my kids lots of toys so they'll be happy. I should make them cute sweaters and stuff and dress them in cute clothes so people think I'm a good mom. I should be doing more for the church because Kim does so much. I should be keeping better track of our budget (well that's a really good should.) I should have a quiet time every day (another good one.) and lots of others...
so then the next step is how to balance all the should's into real life and realistic expectations of myself and my family. without getting all overwhelmed.
How do you all manage those should's???

2 comments:

mamarach said...

Ok girl, I gotta say it sounds like a lot of these are rooted in comparison (mom, Kim) and what others think (cute sweaters). So..I think you know what this means. Your shoulds should (ha) be based on what God calls you to do. Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a human heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. So I guess the question to ask is are you living God's PURPOSE for your life? Sorry to be so preachy but I wanted you encourage you in that. Think about it.
And yeah thanks for lunch it was great :)

~AD said...

"I should make them cute sweaters and stuff and dress them in cute clothes so people think I'm a good mom."

You are a good Mom. Not-so-cute clothes don't change that. The only people whose opinions of your mothering, your housekeeping, whatever are yours, your family's and the big one, God's.

Don't be so hard on you! You're raising two beautiful kids and doing a fantastic job of it. You don't have to be Martha Stewart, or some impersonation of her--and you're not your Mom or your MIL. Be YOU. Just be authentically and uniquely you. The rest will follow.